Everything You Need To Know About Sundarban Safari
Known for hosting the biggest Mangrove Forests in the World, Sundarbans National Park is located in West Bengal, India. It is also a Tiger Reserve and a Biosphere reserve that provides a complete nature’s circle to the tourist right from ‘Royal Bengal tigers’ to roaring rivers and beautiful estuaries. Sundarbans National Park is a part of Sundarban delta that is covered with Mangrove Forest and the largest population of the Bengal Tigers. It is a UNESCO world heritage site with a large variety of birds and reptiles including saltwater Crocodile. Sundarban safari will be the most memorable trip in your life.
Shared between India and Bangladesh, the Sundarbans meaning beautiful forest, have been declared a UNESCO heritage site. This area has a silent charm that manages to amaze one with the simplicity and naturalness of its ecological balance in spite of offering habitat to some of the most dynamic and awe-inspiring flora and fauna.
How to Reach Sundarbans
By Road-Sundarbans is well connected to neighboring cities in West Bengal by a good network of roads. One can take a bus or car till Sonakhali, Godkhali, Namkhana, Canning, Raidighi or Najat and proceed up to Sundarbans through motorboats.
By Train-There are no direct trains to Sundarbans. The closest railway junction is Sealdah. One can reach Sundarbans via Canning by boarding one of the regular local trains running between Canning and Kolkata.
By Local Transport-River cruises on boats are the best way you can enjoy Sunderbans.
What is the best time for Sundarban Safari?
September to March are the best months to visit Sundarbans, the winters being the most pleasant period in the area. Summers could be quite hot and send the temperature shooting up, but are an ideal time to visit the wildlife sanctuary. The monsoons with full generosity in showers may make travelling a little difficult but the lush green surroundings might just make up for it. Aside from spotting these majestic beasts in their natural habitat, Sundarban National Park also has an abundance of diverse flora and fauna that make visiting the attraction worth it. The climate in and around this area generally follows the pattern of most Indian cities, and thus, it has three distinct seasons, out of which the winters are the most prefered, though all of them have their pros and cons.
Monthly Weather in Sundarbans
|Month||Avg. Minimum (°C)||Avg. Maximum (°C)|
Sundarban Watch Towers
To offer a full view of the rich animal and plant life to tourists, the forest department has constructed several towers inside the forest area. Below are the major ones with the sightings they are famous for.
- Sudhanyakhali: Tigers, crocodiles, wild boars
- Sajnekhali: Kingfisher, White Bellied Sea Eagle, Plovers, Lap-Wings, Curfews, Whimprel, Sandpipers, Pelican, Bono Bibi temple, Crocodile park, Mangrove Inspection Centre
- Dobanki: Canopy walk, Cheetal
- Burirdabri: Mud walk, Mangrove cage trail, molluscs, crabs
- Netidhopani: Ancient Shiva Temple
- Bonnie Camp: Scenic beauty, tigers, deer
- Jhingekali: Tigers, Brahmini Kite Bird
Culture of the Forest Dwellers
Lohachara island is one of the vanishing isles in the Sunderban delta region. It was once permanently flooded in the 1980s, then declared disappeared in 2006, and declared visible again in 2009. It was the only one of four permanently flooded islands inhabited by people.
Ghoramara island lies 92 km south of Kolkata and spreads in a minuscule area of 5 km. This island was also once populated with a huge number of local families but now faces complete submergence in water due to erosion and rise in sea water levels. Nonetheless, it is still inhabited by a population of 3,000 people.
2 Nights & 3 Days Itinerary for Sunderban tour
- Reporting time at Dhakuria 8.15 AM.
- Departure from Dhakuria at 8.30 AM.
- Packed breakfast will serve on the way.
- Arrival at Godkhali Jetty.
- Departure by Boat.
- Welcome drinks on Board.
- Journey starts through picturesque rivers like Bidya, Durgadoani etc.
- Arrival at Sunderban Mangrove Retreat, Jamespore.
- Check in to the resort.
- Lunch will serve at resort.
- In the afternoon Visit SAJNEKHALI WATCH TOWER, MANGROVE INTERPRETATION
- CENTRE, followed by Sunset cruise.
- Back to resort followed by Cultural Programme / Get-together with high tea.
- Bed tea.
- Breakfast at resort.
- Enchanting river cruise through dense forest and narrow creeks.
- ( Bon bibi bharani, Sundarkhali, Gajikhali, Chora gajikhali,
- Ponchommukhani, Pirkhali Creeks)
- Visit Sudhanyakhali watch tower for WILDLIFE viewing.
- Lunch on Board.
- Visit Dobanki Watch-tower.
- Back to resort.
- Evening :
- Cultural Programme / Get-together with high tea.
- Bed Tea.
- Leisure walk along the bank of the river for bird watching or Visit local village .
- Breakfast at Resort.
- Check out at 09.00 AM.
- Packed Lunch will serve on boat while coming back to Godkhali
- Arrival Godkhali at 11.00 AM.
- Transfer to Dhakuria.
** Please note the itinerary may change as per the High Tide & Low Tide timing and it will be informed accordingly during the tour.
AC Package-Rs.7000 per head +GST
NAC Package-Rs.6000 per head +GST
- Sundarban Mangrove Resort
- Royal Sundarban Resort
● Welcome drink on arrival on boat.● All transfer from Jetty to resort & back by Boat. ● Forest Safari by Boat.
● Stay in room as per package ● All meals on fixed menu basis. ● Entry permits.● Forest Guide charge.
● Evening cultural programme. ● Kolkata (Dhakuria/ Science City) – Godkhali jetty – Kolkata (Dhakuria/ Science City) transfer.