The Gorumara Forest Retreat- Dooars, Gorumara National Park, West Bengal, India.
The Gorumara Forest Retreat-Dooars is located on the fringes of the Gorumara National Park at the foothills of the Eastern Himalayas in Northern West Bengal. The resort was started in 2008 and it offers guests an opportunity to experience the vast open grasslands, riverine forests, swamps, woodlands, and streams that make up the terrain of the region. The Retreat is located along the banks of the River Murti opposite the Gorumara National Park that is renowned for its Indian One Horned Rhinoceros, Elephant, Indian Gaur (Bison) and Leopard population along with other wild animals.Experience most luxurious stay at Gorumara Forest Retreat
The resort is located in an area that is frequently visited by elephants. The property design of ground plus one allows guests to view the vast expanses of the forest and the wildlife. There are 12 stylishly furnished rooms and the decor makes use of locally sourced materials where possible. The menu at our multi-cuisine restaurant comprises of dishes inspired by the various communities that inhabit the Dooars region. Our chefs utilise locally sourced ingredients as much as possible. International cuisine is served on request as well.
Guests can relax by the outdoor pool or jacuzzi and enjoy a sundowner at the Hornbill Bar in the evening. The resort also has a large outdoor garden area that is popular for hosting soirees.
- Bagdogra Airport is (80 kms.)
- Mainaguri Station is 1 hour drive away (45 kms.)
- Siliguri, West Bengal is 2 hours drive away (100 kms.)
- Darjeeling, West Bengal is 3 hours drive away
- Phuentsholing, Bhutan is 2 hours drive away (100 kms.)
- New Jaipaiguri Station is 2 hours drive away(85 kms.)
- New Mal Junction is 0.5 hours drive away (24 kms.)
- Swimming Pools (Outdoor)
- Children’s Pool
- Conference Hall
- Fitness Centre
- Steam Room
- Pool Table
- Video Library
- Doctor on Call
- Tribal Dance Show
- Migratory Bird Pond
- Bonfire (Winters only)
- Camping Equipment
- Children’s Park
- Indoor / Outdoor Games
How to Go-
The nearest place to get down from the bus is Chalsa. There are very frequent bus services available from Siliguri to Chalsa. From Chalsa to Gorumara is only 30 minutes journey. The nearest airport is Bagdogra which is 85 kms away and takes two hours to reach inGorumara National Park
Best time to Visit-
Oct to June
Forest Watch Towers-
Here are the watchtowers in Gorumara National Park. Visit the links to know our experiences:
- Jatraprasad Watch Tower and Rhino Point
- Medla Watch Tower
- Chandrachur Watch Tower (also known as Khunia Watch Tower)
- Chukchuki Watch Tower
- Chapramari Watchtower
Watchtower Entry & Counter Timings
There are four entries or four shifts in a day. Timings vary depending on season.
March to September
- Visit time: 6am to 7:30am; Permits Issued: 5:30am to 6:30am.
- Visit time: 8:30am to 7:30am; Permits Issued: 6:30am to 7:30am.
- Visit time: 2pm to 3:30pm; Permits Issued: 1pm to 2pm.
- Visit time: 4:30pm to 6pm; Permits Issued: 2pm to 3pm.
October to February
- Visit time: 6:30am to 8am; Permits Issued: 6am to 7am.
- Visit time: 9am to 10:30am; Permits Issued: 7am to 8am.
- Visit time: 1pm to 2:30pm; Permits Issued: 12noon to 1pm.
- Visit time: 3:30pm to 5pm; Permits Issued: 1pm to 2pm.
NOTE: Apart from the watch towers of Gorumara, you can also get entry permits for Chapramari Wildlife Sanctuary at the ticket counter at Lataguri. Entry and counter timings are the same.
Fare updated: February 2019
- Vehicle cost from Lataguri to:
- Jatraprasad/Rhino Point, Medla, Chandrachur: Rs. 990
- Chukchuki: Rs. 720
- Chapramari: Rs. 1140; Rs. 1320 (with tribal dance program)
- Vehicle entry fee: Rs. 100
- Guide fee: Rs. 180
- Video Camera: Rs. 200
- Per person entry fee:
- Jatraprasad: Rs. 120 (for shift 1-3), Rs. 160 (shift 4)
- Chapramari, Chandrachur, Chukchuki: Rs. 70 (shift 1-3), Rs. 120 (shift 4)
- Medla: Rs. 120; Additional Rs. 40 for Bullock Cart Ride.
Premium Double Bed Room-Rs.4500+18% GST with Breakfast
Extra Adult and Child Policy:
- * Adult 12 years and above – Extra Adult Rates apply (when sharing as the third occupant in the room).
- **Children 0-05 years – Complimentary on Room only basis (sharing room with parents). Meals will not be charged additionally when taken from buffet (When parents taking buffet,
- otherwise child rate applies).Ordered food as per prices mention on the menu card.
- **Children 06-11 years – Child Rates apply (sharing room with parents).Breakfast @ Rs. 300 plus taxes per child on buffet. Lunch/Dinner @Rs.450 plus taxes per child on fixed menu
- buffet (if Parents also taking buffet, otherwise alacarte rates apply).